Welcome to the land of Shiny


The home of exuberant amateurism.

Wednesday 20 June 2012

1st Birthday Party for The Octopode Factory's Friday Challenge.

I wanted to do something in rainbow colours to celebrate the 1st Birthday Party for The Octopode Factory's Friday Challenge . Happy Birthday to you Lily and the Design Team!

I have also been wanting to make some colourful butterflies cards for a while and mooching about on the internet I found this marvelously happy card by Amy Rysavy from Prairie Paper and Ink blog and her card is based on an amazing Wedding Cake that is covered in colourful butterflies, I hope you click the link so you too can oogle the fantastic cake and her card.
So these two cards are CASed from Amy.
We have got Audrey Hepburn and her beau Charlie Chaplin celebrating in fine Octopode style.
Click on the picture to make it bigger.


I paper pieced Audrey and coloured Charlie in a very scruffy way with my coloursoft Derwent pencils as I wanted him to provide a contrast from the butterflies and look like he does in his films. (Do you notice Sylvia, how I'm on first name terms with them? Ahem)

Do you have any stash that you very nearly didn't buy but that you now use all the time?
I have my Martha Stewart 3 butterflies punch that I use loads, in fact it's my most used punch and the littlest butterflies are brilliant for added a little colour/space filler/added interest in card making.

I brayed my bright Andirondack dye inks; Citrus, Sailboat, Red Pepper, Sunshine Yellow, Pool and Raspberry onto individual white cards and overstamped a polkadot pattern in the same colour, as I didn't have any rainbow coloured plain card to make the butterflies with.
 It took a while to do but I think it works really well and I've plenty of coloured card left over for something else so I'd recommend giving it a try if you feel like it and want some coloured card to match your inks.

The heart in Charlie's hat is a Hero Arts button stamp.

The gorgeous little chicks in their shells are from Catslife Press and are tiny unmounted rubber and I understand that they love a good party (I think most chicks do), so I'm going to try very hard not to lose them on the dance floor.

Happy Creating!
Gini
xx

5 comments:

Jingle said...

I so love this!

Karen said...

Oh this did make me smile Gini! I wonder if Charlie ever made a play for Audrey! This is wonderful sweetie xxx

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Glorious colours Gini - the butterfly display is awesome! How wonderful to be on first name terms with so many celebs. - I am peeled paint with envy!
Great work, as always, and your tall stories make my day!
Hugs, Sylvia xx

Amy* said...

Gini this is so amazing! I love how you have used the Octopode Charlie and Audrey to anchor the gorgeous rainbow of paper butterflies. The dimension the punched butterflies add to this piece is wonderful and your coloring on the images is lovely as well! Thanks so much for joining in our Birthday celebration at TOFF with this fabulous entry :)

Amy*

Electra said...

Gini, this is delightful-I love the bright colours-it sings a song to me!