Welcome to the land of Shiny


The home of exuberant amateurism.

Friday 5 March 2010

Opus Gluei Challenge #44 Cultural Inspiration

The challenge this week over at Order of the Opus Gluei
is to be inspired by a language or culture that is not your own.

The two most inspiring foreign cultural things for me are Meditation and Yoga.
That was the easy bit.
But what to make.

Last night I was whining in an email to Electra that I just can't manage anything in a week and nearly all the challenges are weekly and blah blah blah, poor little me...

Then I stopped and thought "stop being so pathetic and make something. "
Seeing as Spanky was in bed getting her beauty sleep, I was on my own. (Do not think about the implications of that statement. Three would be a crowd anyway.)

Draw a bloody arch for a start, free hand it doesn't have to be symmetrical. Just grab a bit of patterned paper and do it.
It needs something more. OK, I'll do Zetti stripes.
Without measuring in millimetres for F's sake!
OK, now do a banner with meditation on it and find a background paper for it.
This took quite a bit of fannying around, but got done.

Ok what about a Buddha. Fine, come on quickly!
I got out another bit of paper and my new nesty circles.
Where are the instructions...
OK, two circles cut out and edged.
Quick, c'mon practice a face on a bit of scrap paper.
Oh shut up while I google Buddha and look at how the faces of the statues are formed.
No, even a Minnie Mouse face will be fine, just do it.
Well, I'm doing a belly button and a crown with bling.
Great, now shut up and do it. No, you don't need coffee, it's 10.30 at night, sit down and do it!
It needs a bit more of something and I need to think of a way to get it to stand up as a card.
I'll finish it in the morning.

No, finish it now.
No; Arse to you. I'm going to bed.

............................................................

This morning.
OK, sod the housework, finish the card.

Voila!! Bullying for one and getting challenges done on time - in a nutshell.

If I had had 4 weeks it would look completely different and Buddha would have been in a little round house of altered art but I GOT IT DONE!





Gini/
Gini
x
x

14 comments:

Karen said...

and there was me thinking I was the only one whotalked to herself when crafting hahahahahahaha!!!!

But you got it done Gini and its wonderful!!! HUGS XXX

Jana said...

I LOVE your Buddah. He is perfect. Your self dialogue is wonderful. Love your argument about going to bed. I agree, sometimes you just have to do it. Thanks so much for playing with us at Opus Gluei. I sooo look forward to your creations. Shame Spanky was sleeping. But you did fine without the help.

Sherry said...

... so you ARE a Ginius after all - LOL. Great arch and as usual your posting made me laugh. I find if I think about something for too long it doesn't turn out as good as if I just get on and see what happens (if that makes sense!)

BTW, I love your Buddah's bikini top!

Gini said...

Sherry - Now, I'm the exact opposite, if I don't stop and think about what I'm doing or going to do I usually end up with a little bit of crap instead of a little bit of shiny.
:-)

Gini
xx

Rosemary said...

OMG - this creative process dialogue made me chuckle out loud sitting here in front of the computer.

That said, love the card! The top just makes it!

Chriss Rollins said...

sod the housework indeed

brill arch...bit of zetti there. x

Chriss Rollins said...

By the way.. you need to read one of the posts on our ATC blog very carefully you may get a nice surprise x

Electra said...

This is wonderful! You can tell Spanky she can go out for tea with her friends now whenever she likes, you do just great without her! Now I'm going to go answer your emails. :-)

Electra said...

I'm back, I see you won the ATC contest. Way to go!

Chris said...

Well it seems talking to yourself certainly got the job done...lol Think I may have to take a leaf out of your book :D
Totally love your budda arch and the zetti...tooo coooool
hugs
Chris xx

Linda Vincent said...

Oooh an Argyl Buddha...now that must be a first.
Love the commentary; you're crazy 'but I like you' ;-)
Hugs
Linda
PS Congrats on being a winner!

cheryl said...

hi hun love your blog and all your wonderful creations,i have made some dresses from the template you have on your blog so hope you like what i have made,hugs cheryl xx
http://cheryl-cherylscreativeatcscards.blogspot.com/2010/03/just-few-things.html

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hi Gini! Very cute post! Your Buddha inspired creation is wonderful! Thanks so much for your sweet visit! I really appreciate your comment. Wishing you more creative "Me" time, as I like to call it! :)

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Hi Gini
Another fabulous creation - the placement of the diamond patterns is perfection!! Love the belly button too!
Brilliant story-telling as always, and so "real". I was right there with you Gini, willing you to get a move-on and finish it. If only I could learn how to get a move-on and finish my things too!
Loadsa hugs, Sylvia xxxx