Welcome to the land of Shiny


The home of exuberant amateurism.

Thursday 26 August 2010

Opus Gluei Challenge #65 Ephemera. Just making some adjustments.

The lovely ladies over at Opus Gluei challenged us all to make something using Ephemera.
Now I am aware of the word's existence but I couldn't have given you a definition apart from some rubbish I'd have made up on the fly if my "dunno" was unacceptable. But thankfully the poobah's gave this definition:-

"Ephemera is defined by Merriam-Webster's online dictionary as "...something of no lasting significance...paper items that were originally meant to be discarded (as posters, broadsides, tickets) after use but have since become collectibles."


I don't have a lot of this kind of stash but I have a few things I've kept because I instantly had an picture idea for using it.
Click on it to make it bigger.




This is the advertising leaflet that the little mouse comes from.




As soon as I saw her I could see her cleaning out Julia's flip top head and "making some adjustments".
I don't know where these ideas come from sometimes, it's just the mystery of creativity for you.

The way I see it is that at a very basic level our lives are nothing more than a series of adjustments, of changes.
We make adjustments to accommodate people entering and leaving our lives, adjustments to accommodate earning money, adjustments to accommodate new ways of living depending on our life experiences. On and on the adjustments go, and it is continuous.
Sometimes huge adjustments and sometimes tiny ones but everyday we are making adjustments.
The great side to these adjustments is that we get to choose how we react to these inevitable daily changes.
We can choose whether we view them fearfully or humorously or as chance to improve our lives.


I like the idea of the little mouse and her dustpan and brush helping the process along.

 I have recently got some border punches and they have so much more potential than just as an outwards facing border. I really like them facing inwards for a start.

I have a couple of colours I don't like; grey and peach. But for this challenge I thought I'd try to do a colour scheme I would never normally choose.
Grey, black, white and peach.
I couldn't stomach adding peach into the mix as well but I'm pleased with the result anyway.  

Happy creating!
Gini
xx

8 comments:

Karen said...

I think I could do with that little mouse to come & do some adjustments on me today!!!!

Brilliant, brilliant work Gini!!! XXX

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

LOL gini!! Love the hinged head and the idea of being able to make adjustments to our brains - think of the possibilities that would offer...........!! Love that new border punch - it's so effective in black and really does look very vintage. The whole colour scheme works so well.
Love and hugs, Sylvia xxxx
PS - thanks for your new comments - you had me ROTFL again as I do feel 100 sometimes!

Jingle said...

OH, I SO love this piece! Love it.

Rosemary said...

This is fantastic, I need Hunca Munca over to help me with clearing out the cobwebs! Love ths whimsy and sweetness of this. Great take on the challenge, and I love that you're going back to do some of the previous challenges!

Electra said...

I LOOOOOVE THIS!!! Hey, is Ms. Mouse sweeping things in or out? I hate peach too. Did my entire living room in it once, I have no idea why. I used to get nauseous every time I went in there, but I didn't figure it out. I also refinished a bentwood rocker in peach. THAT was just plain stupid. but it matched the living room. Speaking of the dustbin, that's where it eventually went and it took me WEEKS. Did I say I LOOOOVE THIS!??? Cus I do.

Sherry said...

LOL Gini - so funny! I could do with a sweep out too!! (Now got David Bowie's 'Changes' in my head - and it's not one of my favourites - lol)

Jana said...

Another one missed??? What the frog? This one is BRILLIANT. Love the mouse dropping the dirt into her brain. Gives a new meaning to mouse droppings for me. LOL. I LOVE this. You are so talented.

Linda Vincent said...

I love this...you have the best ideas Gini.