Welcome to the land of Shiny


The home of exuberant amateurism.

Thursday 8 September 2011

Stampotique Designer's Challenge #37 Bookmark and #36 Altering a book page.

This fortnight's Stampotique Designer's Challenge is to make a bookmark.
Not easy if you like dimension, as you can't use it on bookmarks which is what generally puts me off making them.

Hands up who has got the Tim Holtz Filmstrip Frames Sizzix die?
Keep your hand up if you've found a good layout for using it on a card.
No, me neither.
I haven't even seen one out in my travels around blogsville.
The best I can think of is making two, filling them with pictures and putting them mostly vertically but crossing over one another and having some designer paper somewhere.
Or stamping some sort of scene or collage arrangement on a card base and laying an empty filmstrip over it or making snapshots from the scene to go in the filmstrip.
But none of these ideas has inspired me to actually want to make them.

Oooh but I don't need to care about sticking it on a card anymore because I can make bookmarks with it instead and so can you- yay - no more guilt about a white elephant purchase.



Stampotique characters from the top are; Sheer, Heart Throb, Three in a round, Mort has a Pin Curl, and Clover.

I didn't use the whole filmstrip because it is too long for paperbacks and I backed it onto textured red card and coloured with Derwent coloursoft pencils for a change.
I didn't put any ribbon or fibres on it because I don't like using bookmarks that have them, they might look nice and dangly but they are annoying to read with them.  I find it's always better to use my eyes.

I did the SDC#36 Alter a page too but forgot to blog it (I'm still not fit and well and I think my brain is somewhere south of Spain. My body has never been to South of Spain or even Spain for that matter.)

I can't remember where I read the quote that "Real men have duct tape in their trucks". I didn't know what Duct Tape was and had to google it.
(It's that wide grey, cloth backed tape that I know as Electrical Tape, you might know it as John.)
Anyhoo it gave me the idea for this picture in my watercolour book.
Click on it to make it bigger.


It reads: Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.
Heart throb is saying "Real men always have duct tape in their vans."
Girl with heart Purse is saying "What is duct tape?"
Ha!

Happy Creating!
Gini
xx

14 comments:

Sue said...

These are brilliant Gini, I don't have the filmstrip die but I do have the ticket one and that has never been out of the packet yet :o)
I love your watercolour page, but in this case I don't think Hearth Throb will get the girl x

Jane Wetzel said...

Well GINI...for not knowing what to do with the film strip- this is REALLY cool! I am lol at the duct tape pages tho!! You creative little girl you!!

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow, your book mark is great, a super use of the film strip. Thanks for joining the challenge :-)

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

That is such a great way to use the film strip Gini - the bookmark is fabulous!
As for the Duct Tape - for years, I thought it was called Duck Tape! Brilliant book page - your imagination is wonderful Gini.
Hugs, Sylvia xxxx

Willy said...

Love your bookmark and your page, Gini! Both are fabulous. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge # 37.

Jayne C said...

Both your projects are great!! What a fabulous way to use the film strip die...love it!!! x

Karen said...

PML!!!! at your duct tape page!!! My hubbie uses it for anything that needs sticking down hahahaha!!!

Now there's an idea for that film strip....I have that die & like you have never found a way to use it!!! Clever girlie HUGS xxx

shirley said...

Love your idea with the filmstrip.
My friend has the filmstrip die, I just might borrow it :)
Fab bookmark.

Anonymous said...

I just love both your bookmark and journalpage! Thanks for joining the Stampotique designer's challenge

Lynne Phelps said...

I have been wanting that die but couldn't figure out how I'd actually use it. Bookmarks are a brilliant solution, so thanks for that bit of enabling! Love the journal page too, very funny!

Debbie said...

This is a fabulous use of the filmstrip die cut! Love your design and all the little "heads"! Awesome!

Sherry said...

Hello Gini!
Thanks for the b'day wishes - and the fish pedicure was surprisingly pleasant - in fact we went back for a second go!!

I love your bookmark - I had to go and check whether I had that die, and yes, sure enough there it was at the bottom of a pile, still in it's wrapper - lol. I like how you've put the faces off centre in the film strip, I may just have to copy that!! (Now singing, 'girls on film')

I like your duct tape page too!

..... on my b'day I was indeed 'Cherry' from Pan's People and I was dancing around all day in a floaty chiffony number - LOL

Gez Butterworth said...

Fabulous artwork as ever Gini.

Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designers Challenge.

Promise to catch up with you properly real soon..xx

Vicki G said...

Really Like your Bookmark! Thanks for playing with us at SDC

Vicki